Annual Tourism Luncheon
Thank you to those who attended our 2022 Annual Tourism Luncheon & Awards Ceremony, where we acknowledged our 2022 Heart of Hospitality Award recipient, our PROPS award winners, and revealed our much-anticipated rebrand!
2022 HEART OF HOSPITALITY AWARD WINNER: BARRY ONGERTH
Barry Ongerth joined the Board of the San Mateo County/Silicon Valley Convention and Visitors Bureau in 2005, representing Millbrae’s hotel community as an owner of the Travelodge, a family business that he took over in the 1980s. Barry had the unselfish view that the CVB’s role was to boost occupancy for ALL hotels in the region, with the logic being that if the region did well, his property would do well. During the 2008 economic downturn, Barry seized the opportunity to move away from the franchise model and transform his property into an independent boutique hotel, The Dylan at SFO.
Barry was a big supporter of the CVB’s rebranding project. While fighting illness, Barry joined us in June 2021 for our first in-person board meeting since the onset of the pandemic. Unfortunately, Barry met his untimely death on September 5, 2021. We all miss Barry and are grateful for his big and bold view on tourism. We are honored to present the 2022 Heart of Hospitality Award to Barry Ongerth.
John Hutar with Barry’s wife, Tina Ongerth, and niece, Keelin Woodell.
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2022 PROPS AWARDS WINNERS
The Peninsula Recognition of Passionate Service (PROPS) Awards were designed to honor superstars in the hospitality and tourism industry for their hard work and dedication. The current COVID crisis has amplified the need for us to celebrate our region’s hospitality industry heroes. Applications are open to employees of San Mateo County/Silicon Valley Convention and Visitors Bureau partner organizations.
UNSUNG HERO SERVICE
TUSHAR PANDYA, GENERAL MANAGER, HOTEL 1550
This award is given to an individual who works directly with the general public and goes above and beyond the call of duty to ensure the best possible customer experience. This individual consistently demonstrates the ability to overcome overwhelming obstacles, delivering an unparalleled level of service.
YUK LEE, MULTI-PROPERTY PAYROLL ADMINISTRATOR, SAN FRANCISCO AIPORT MARRIOTT WATERFRONT
This award is given to an individual who does not work directly with the general public, but who still provides exemplary support to others within the organization.
LEADERSHIP IN TIME OF CRISIS
SUSAN O'SULLIVAN, CHIEF EXTERNAL RELATIONS OFFICER, FILOLI
This award is given to an individual who has made substantial, innovative contributions to his/her organization through the introduction of new ideas and methods, demonstrating a profound ability to pivot during a time of crisis.
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE 2022 PROPS NOMINEES!
UNSUNG HERO SERVICE:
- Jose Barrientos, Director of Banquets, San Mateo Marriott
- Maria Chiang, Guest Service Agent, The Westin San Francisco Airport Hotel
- Craig Cordova, Sales & Reservations Analyst, San Mateo Marriott
- Alba Crisostomo, Front Desk Agent, Hotel Focus SFO
- Laura Galli, Engineering Manager, City of Foster City, Public Works Department
- Aurora Nagtalon, Guest Experience Host (Front Desk), Grand Hyatt at SFO
- Tushar Pandya, General Manager, Hotel 1550
- Arminda Ruiz, Banquet Captain, San Mateo Marriott
- James Taylor, Bartender/Server, Max's of Burlingame
- Les Barbarena, Banquet Houseman, The Westin San Francisco Airport Hotel
- Dani Hielscher, Marketing Coordinator, Filoli
- Elizabeth Isham, Housekeeping Manager, San Mateo Marriott
- Yuk Lee, Multi-Property Payroll Administrator, San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
- Oliver Mendez, House Attendant, San Mateo Marriott
- Maria Ramirez, Housekeeping Supervisor, San Mateo Marriott
LEADERSHIP IN TIMES OF CRISIS:
- Susan O'Sullivan, Chief External Relations Officer, Filoli
- Patricia Somera, Colleague Experience Manager, Grand Hyatt at SFO
QUESTIONS ABOUT OUR ANNUAL TOURISM LUNCHEON & AWARD CEREMONY?
Please contact Nova Maldonado at email@example.com or call 650.348.7600.
THANK YOU TO OUR ANNUAL TOURISM LUNCHEON SPONSORS